Thursday, July 03, 2008

Kavalier and Clay: Part Two "A Couple of Boy Geniuses"

The second part of the novel was most satisfying, and moved quickly. There were lots of wonderful things being done here, as I read about the development of the two boy's relationship, the birth of The Escapist, and Sam's history with The Mighty Molecule. It's better I break it down by chapters:

1 - The first chapter gave us the history of the comic book. Which, as an avid fan, I enjoyed very much. I didn't know how comics grew in this country, nor when, so the author had my attention. Also, Joe's solution to drawing the sound of a fart, and Ethel's rule about minding her own business were moments that I enjoyed. I like how Joe doesn't get shocked or overwhelmed by Sam's Americanness, so to speak.

2 - The Empire Novelty Company, Inc. chapter is a good demonstration as to what it is about the novel I don't care for: it's too much. While I can honestly say that I like the various characters presented to us (and their back stories), I must admit that I'm bothered by how many there are. In this setting alone the boys have to deal with THREE bosses/obstacles: Anapol, Askenazy, and - later on - Deasey. And while it's nice to know about Anapol's history, and Deasey's (n chapter 11), do I NEED all of this? I need the history of the boys, and the history of The Escapist, and even the history of Kornblum, but Deasey?

3 - The walk to "Palooka Studios" (which has four names, not one - calm down Chabon. Does the changing names suggest "changing your luck",lack of commitment, youth fullness, the instability of the apartment, or the author's need to do too much?). Here we meet up with Julie Glovsky, one of FIVE new characters that will help with the new comic book. The best part of this chapter: Sam's "moment of global vision" (94). His ability to reason out the "why" (and how funny the scene is), for me, is one of the best parts of Part Two. Also, at the end of the chapter he tells Julie, "this is my partner". A perfect ending and segue into the next chapter about a father and son.

4 - At first, I was like "what's up with this?" for the Mighty Molecule chapter ( thankfully, Chabon did not extend it another ten pages). But, as I got into the chapter, I really enjoyed it. The mother's battle between disgust and sexual satisfaction, the boy overwhelmed by the size of his dad's penis, the father's revelation about why he walks the son around so much, and the dubious story about the dad's presence during Sam's early stages of polio were all enjoyable. The life of a strongman performer aspect fits in with the whole novel, offering insight into a different form of "bizarre" entertainment (what, no chapters or characters that deal with organ-grinding, clowns, or dueling banjos?). I was disappointed with the predictable promise then abandonment ending of the chapter, but happy to move on.

5 - Joe IS a superhero! "Look at him" "Look what he can do." (111-112). A great moment. Sam, in awe of Joe. Hope in Joe's ability to take Sam and morph him into a boy of dreams to a boy of reality. I loved the quote, "A longing - common among the inventors of heroes - to be someone else." (113)

6 - The naked girl chapter reveals Joe as a sensitive, lover of beauty and art (who needs money). This scene is great in that it reveals HOW Joe selects his picture's composition and perspective, and shows him foregoing turning the picture into just a slap-shot (ha ha) - by leaving the breasts out - and going for the perfect snap shot. I like the extra detail about Julie keeping the picture all of his days, and eventually getting credit for the drawing. Typical...

7 - The idea for The Escapist and the golden key. Fast, and interesting. I liked Chabon's note about the absence of a Houdini like hero at this time in history. I think Chabon is impressed with himself for thinking of a character that no one else thought of (which he needs to do to tell this story).

8 - The Legend of The Escapist. What an excellent way to tell a story. I give the author a lot of credit for his ability to insert these chapters (like the Molecule one and this one) into the novel to break up the walk from Empire to Palooka Studios, and tell the story in a different way. It somewhat reminds me of Steinbeck breaking up the Joad's trek to California with "extra" chapters, in The Grapes of Wrath. I enjoyed the whole chapter, especially its "comicbookness". Here WE start taking ownership in the characters in the comic book, and the novel exists of another plane (it has a few with the Holocaust stuff going on in the background). We are not only watching the boys create the comic, we are experiencing the story of The Escapist as well. Nice.

9 - Sam and Joe bonding

10 - Jerry, Marty, Davy, and Frank. Frank instantly "sees" Tokyo Joe for what he is (a real artist), and the boys sign up one by one. Why the "Masked" men? THEME? Symbolism? The Hitler touch is a nice one. Personalizes the book for Joe, and shows Sam cares. Davy is a sweet character. What's with Jerry and the chicken? I don't see Jerry as a "good guy" later on. He might be a bit of a problem for our boys later on. The girl?

11 - The work marathon. Here we get to see Sam's talents center stage. This is an important part of the relationship, as Sam must hold his own. As Sam works through the character of The Swift, you can really "hear" him. I think this is a strength of Chabon's: dialogue and pausing. Also, Sam's truthfulness at the end of the chapter (his virginity) really cements the trust factor of their relationship, as does the two boys falling asleep together on the floor (which is how this all started).

12 - The offer and the rejection. I like the Deasey character as he instantly recognizes Joe's talent, and reads the WHOLE book carefully (showing that he is a man who takes his time and is meticulous). The offer shocked me (don't sell the rights!), but not Joe's steadfastness about the cover. Sam's loyalty and commitment to Joe - in the face of achieving his dream - was necessary, wonderful, touching, and ... You get the point.

I look forward to reading more and writing LESS!

1 comment:

Robert D. Ford said...

I also found it very impressive that way Chabon writes the legend of the Escapist. I found myself comparing it to Batman, Superman, and Spiderman and seeing how many of the elements of the "origin story" he was able to capture.

The impact of fathers or father figures in comic books, especially in the story of the Escapist, is interesting, too, especially in light of the loss of fathers for Joe and Sam. (See note in third entry).